Thursday, May 17, 2012

The ABCs of Terri

I know so many of you have been reading my blog for a very long time and you probably think you have a good picture of who I am.  It's easy to get a mental picture of the writer of the various blogs you read and I do it too.  However, the person is always much more complex than you may think.

Today, I thought I would give you a glimpse of who I am by reciting the alphabet!  I didn't want to just give you the good side though.  I thought I should be honest and give you a bad trait as well so you can get the whole picture.  It's a fun way to show you a glimpse into my personality.  Let me just say, it wasn't easy coming up with 52 things!

A
Able - I'm pretty good at doing most anything.  I love to figure out new things to do and then try my hand at them and they usually turn out pretty good.

Anger - I do have a quick temper and I'm working so hard at getting it under control.  More often than not, it's my family that gets the brunt of it.  :-(  It's definitely a thorn in my side and one that I want removed!

B
Brave - I think I'm pretty brave and I've been able to face challenges that would send most women running and screaming.  I may feel overwhelmed and unable to face those things, but I get up and keep going.

Bored - I get bored so easily.  I was always like that, even as a child, so I love having lots of things to occupy my mind.  To me there is nothing worse than doing the same thing over and over and over again!

C
Creative - I'm pretty creative.  I love coming up with different ways to present something from crafts to photos to powerpoint presentations.

Charitable - I feel strongly about helping the poor and needy.  I do feel like it's a biblical mandate.  But I'm also charitable with others faults.  I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt and look past their mistakes.

D
Dejected - I can feel this way really quickly.  I get discouraged quickly but I can pull myself out of it just as quickly.

Demonstrative - I show my love and affection for others through hugging and touching and saying that I love them.  I wasn't always like this, but I've learned to be.

E
Enthusiastic - I am very excited and enthusiastic about the different things I'm involved in.  I get very animated when I talk about something I'm passionate about and I remember my uncle asking me one day if I could carry on a conversation without using my hands! lol

Empathy - I am able to put myself in another person's shoes and identify with their pain.  The problem comes when I can't separate myself from their emotions and I absorb their emotions as my own.  I don't think I would make a good counselor for that reason!

F
Fun - I have a lot of fun and I am fun to be around.  It seems like every where I go I get good natured ribbing and I'm always at the rowdy table at parties for some reason! ;-)

Faithful - I am faithful to those I care about and also to God.  I've never once thought about turning my back on my marriage (even though there have been times when I was spitting mad) nor have I ever thought about turning my back on God, even in the very dark times.

G
(side note: I'd love to type glamorous here but it just isn't going to happen! roflol)

Gracious - I tend to be compassionate and merciful towards others.

Grouchy - yes (hanging my head in shame), I can be this way to my family.  Though, isn't this the way sin always is?  I can turn that grouchiness off very quickly when someone else shows up.

H
Humorous - I have a quick wit and I love a good joke and I make them frequently.  I find humor in almost everything which is probably what has helped me get through some very hard times.  Comedies are my favorite kinds of movies.

Honorable - I have a very strong sense of what is right and I try to treat others honorably.

I
Irritable - (See a pattern here).  I do get irritable easily.  Working on this one as well.

Ideas - I may have a hundred ideas a day of how to do something differently or a new program or new way of doing something around the house.  My problem comes in implementing them sometimes!

J
Justice - I have a heightened sense of the justice or injustice of a situation.  I really struggle when something is injust.

Jokes - I love a good joke and I love telling jokes!

K
Kind - I am kind to others.  In general, I'm pretty good hearted.

Knowledge - I love learning new things and am pretty knowledgeable about many things.

L
Laugh - I love to laugh!

Lucid - I communicate in a way that is easily understood and clear.  I think I'm a pretty rational person.

M
Mom - this is the most important thing to me.  I love being a mom and everything about motherhood.  It's not always easy and I fail quite a bit but my children are very important to me.

Modest - I am modest not only in the way I dress but in the way I regard myself.  I don't have an over heightened regard for myself.

N
Nice - most people end up characterizing me this way.  I'm a nice person who is pretty likeable.

Nurturing - I have a strong nurturing instinct.

O
Optimist - I look at the bright side of things and am a glass half full kind of person.

Orderly - My number one spiritual gift is administration and that shows in almost everything I do.  I'm very orderly in how I run my life.

P
People pleaser - I'm really working on changing this but it's so inbred in me that it's difficult.  I get upset even if someone online whom I never met in real life is upset.  Another thorn in my side because you can never please everyone all of the time.  It's a nightmare trait to have as a pastor's wife!

Passionate - Someone at church told me that one day.  They said you are very intense about everything you believe.

Q
Quick to react - bad, bad, bad.  I'm trying to learn to SLOW DOWN before I respond, volunteer, or do anything.  Because when I do this, I end up with this next quality.

Qualms - I'll get a feeling of misgiving or "Oh NO!"  "What did I just do!"

R
Reflecting - I think all the time and ponder many things.  Some of my best musings come when I'm walking.

Rehash - I rehash conversations or situations over and over again in my mind.  It's not good because to be honest, it's worry and I'm learning to turn them over to the Lord.

S
Sensitive - This can be a good thing because I empathize with others but it's bad because I can get my feelings hurt pretty easily.

Smart - I have an above average IQ and I've always picked things up very quickly.  I just didn't always apply myself because even though I didn't mention it up above, I can be lazy!

T
Transparent - I'm an open book and am honest about my struggles, my strengths, my faults.

Tough - I'm not a "quaking in my boots" type of person.  I face adversity head on and even though I feel like running and hiding, I don't.

U
(Okay, "U" is hard!)

Unsung - I'll probably never be known outside of my little circle and I'm okay with that.  As long as I don't think about it too much! ;-)

Uptight - Yes, that is a problem.  I have a hard time going with the flow!

V
Vivacious - I'm pretty animated, energetic and active and no one would ever call me a wall-flower.  That is the Lord totally though because I used to be so shy as a teenager and young adult.

Vocal - People know what I think.  All the time.  :-/

W
Wit - I pick things up easily.  I understand things quickly.  I can observe and comprehend things rapidly.

Worry - I am a worrier.  I feel anxious quite a bit and have to work very, very hard at not worrying about things.  There will be times when my stomach is churning over something and I have to just cling to God during those times.

X
non-Xenophobe (hah!  I bet you wondered how I was going to work that letter in) - I'm not distrustful of strangers or foreigners at all.  In fact, I love meeting new people and especially people from other countries.

Y
Young-at-heart - Which is probably why I enjoy young people so much.  I'm 50 but feel like I'm still in my 20s (mentally...my body feels 70)!

Yielding - I usually will give in to someone rather than push my own agenda.

 Z
Zealous - I am enthusiastic and committed to my relationship with the Lord.

Zany - Okay, I do have an odd and crazy sense of humor.  Or as one of my friends told me recently, I'm goofy! :-)


There you have it!  Everything you NEVER wanted to know about me!