A Trip Down Memory Lane

Untitled

It's Loving Your Children Tuesday at my friend Kate's blog and today she is discussing nostalgia. I thought I'd take a trip down memory lane with her.

Here are some of my favorite memories of my children from when they were little.  Some are funny, some are sweet, some are bittersweet.


♥ Nathan wearing a bright yellow fireman hat and jacket and sitting in a toy fire truck and making authentic sounding siren noises.  Who would have thought that years in the future he would be on the fire department!

♥ Emily playing the piano and singing at the top of her lungs at the age of 18 months.

♥ Getting the news that my unborn baby was diagnosed with Trisomy-18 (Edwards Syndrome) and being given the option to abort.  Because that is not an option we would ever consider clinging to the Lord during that time.  My sweet daughter was born perfect!

♥ Stephen, age 3, dragging a hippity-hop ball (the ones you sit on and bounce around the house) up the stairs and then throwing himself down on it, stomach first, only to go flying backwards down the staircase!  His first screaming, lispy words...."I didn't cwack my head open, did I?"  LOL!!!  Thank goodness he didn't!

♥ Nathan, who had a speech disorder, loved churches.  Every time we drove by one he would point and yell, "Boof!"  I knew what he meant. :-)

♥ My inlaws taking the boys to Scottish throwing games and Stephen who was 3, after watching these young girls doing some Scottish dancing for a while exclaimed, "I like those girls!"  "I like those pretty dancing girls!"  Uh-oh!!!

♥ One of my favorite memories of Nathan needs a bit of a set-up...

Dan & I did ten years of inner city ministry in one of the most densely populated cities in the U.S.  We were there until Nathan turned ten years old.  One of our ministries was English as Second Language Classes in the basement of the YMCA.  The YMCA had clients who lived there.  Most of these people had drug and alcohol problems.

One night we were leaving after the classes and I had both boys in hand.  Nathan was 5 and Stephen was 3 and we turned the corner and there was a woman urinating against the side of the building and shouting obscenities.  We had to literally jump over the stream of urine.

I remember being really angry about the whole situation and fussing to Dan that we were going to have to talk to the director of the "Y" about it.  I was going on and on all the way into the car.

Nathan piped up and said, "Mommy, does that lady know Jesus?"  I said, "No, she doesn't." as I continued to fuss.  Then he wanted to know why she was screaming and I told him she was sick.  We had to go drop something off to someone and we were about 10 minutes into the drive when this small voice popped up from the back seat again, "Can we pray for that lady?"

OUCH!!!  My 5 year old had to remind why we were even there in the city.  His compassion for that woman was amazing!

There are so many more memories from my children's lives that I could share, but I'll spare you! :-)  This has been a fun exercise!

Don't forget my blog give away here.








Comments

  1. Terri, I have tears in my eyes now, but I'm smiling too! You have such special and wonderful children. Such a nice family photo. God bless you and your family.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. I had tears in my eyes too as I was reliving those memories!

      Delete
  2. Oh Terri, that was such a wonderful journey!!!! Praise the Lord for those precious memories AND for sharing them! I loved reading them all and was tearing up as well!

    Love you, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute stories! I love the family photo too! :)

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are adorable stories! I'm still cracking up over your son launching himself backwards down the stairs! Probably not too funny at the time...but hilarious now! :)

    Have a great night,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live