Don't Throw Tomatoes!

Today is a dreary, rainy, humid day.  A good day for staying inside, curling up with a good book and relaxing.

But, I have 25 lbs. of tomatoes to process before they go bad so that is what I've spent the past couple of hours doing.  I have 7 quarts of diced tomatoes to show for it so it was well worth the time.


I also tested out a new recipe today - tomato quiche.   It turned out great and was very tasty so I thought I'd share the recipe.

The top got a little dark because I was distracted and forgot to check on it, but it still tasted good.


Tomato Quiche

1 deep dish pie crust - I made my own.  Prick holes in the bottom with a fork and bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.

In the meantime, slice a large beefsteak tomato and set the slices on a plate covered with a paper towel.  Sprinkle with salt and let sit.

Slice 1/2 of an onion and saute in olive oil for 3-5 minutes, until the onion is soft.

Grate 1 cup cheese of your choice - I used 1/2 Colby-jack and 1/2 parmesan. 

At this point your pie crust should be done.  Take it out of the oven.  Take a paper towel and pat the tomatoes dry.   This step is important otherwise you will end up with a soggy crust.

Place the tomato slices on the bottom of the crust, place the onions on top.  Season with salt, pepper, and dried basil.  Fresh would have been great but I didn't have any.  Sprinkle the cheese on top.

Beat together 2 eggs, 2 TBSP. flour, and 1 cup of evaporated milk.  Pour over the tomatoes, onions and cheese.

Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.  I would check it a few minutes before that to see if it's set and done because ovens vary.

There you go!  Enjoy.

Comments

  1. Yum yum! I do a similar one with mozzarella cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! I'd have to make something different for the hubby as he's not a tomato fan, but I'd love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.