Shot in the Foot by my Own Gun


I've gotten to the point where I'm afraid to open up my social media.  A sad phenomena is happening today among those who proclaim to follow Christ.  They are shooting themselves in the foot.

So many Christians shout that they are being persecuted.  They state that believers are getting creamed in the media.  That it's all unfair!  In many ways, I would agree.  However I also believe that we have done it to ourselves.  We are left holding a smoking gun and wondering why our foot hurts.

We focus on a pet issue and make that the focal point.  We rant and rave and rail against so many things.  Yet, I very rarely hear of believers weeping over the thought of people dying without knowing Christ.  It seems to be all about the sin and not much about Christ's love for the sinner.  And to be honest, if I sense this, what does it look like to those who don't know the Lord?

Since when did our Christian walk become about following a particular political party?  How did we get to the point when all we do is talk about "issues" instead of the ONE who can change the world?  And how can we expect people to come to the Lord when we keep shouting and stomping our feet, "It's NOT fair!"   Or how in the world do we think people will understand the magnitude of that sacrifice on the cross when we have people who shout hatred in the name of Christ for the media.

Colossians 4:2-6 (NIV) ~

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

We act so indignant and exude anger on many of these issues.  Where is the salt?  Salt brings out the flavor of food.  Are we bringing out the flavor of Christ?  Are we bringing Jesus to a lost world or are we bringing issues?

After all, it is up to the Lord to change a person.  He is the one who can touch a person's heart and convict of sin.  Our job is to have conversations full of grace.  To show Christ's love.  We are supposed to show wisdom in our dealings with those who don't know the Lord.

My concern is that we have totally gone down a wrong path.  It's frightening to me.  Yes, I think Christians have come under attack and that is primarily because we have shown so little of Christ in our dealings with people.

My prayer today is that we would be wise.  That we would devote ourselves to prayer.  That we would be watchful and thankful.  But more importantly, we would learn to speak words that are seasoned with the flavor of Christ.  And that we would learn to speak Jesus, not politics.  I pray that we would speak hope, and not condemnation.

Learn to pray more and speak less.

Comments

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.