Thrifty Thursday


It has been a stellar week in the frugal department and I was excited to share today.  One thing I have found in trying to save money is that it takes a lot of time so there is a cost to being frugal.  Yet, if you are in a situation like I am where you are living on one income, it's necessary.  During the times in my life where I have worked full-time, I found we were in worse shape financially because I was so wiped out a the end of each day and week that I had no desire to do anything necessary to save. 

It also takes will-power not to cave in to those times when all I want to do is eat out or order in.  I had to fight down those urges quite a few times this week.  I was so glad I did!

Anyway, here we go with the savings.

$ Bought bananas that were on sale at the local orchard for $3.00 for 7 lbs.  That translates to $.42 per lb.  Awesome!  We ate some, I made some into banana chocolate chip muffins and the rest will be used up or put in the freezer for a later date.  I just throw the whole banana, peel and all in the freezer and then when I'm ready to use it in baking I pull it out, let it thaw, peel and mash.

 
$ I went back to the orchard and found one last box of apples which was 1 & 1/9 bushel.  It was $6 which is less than $.14 per lb.  Again, I got to share with a few friends.
 

$ I found corned beef points on sale for $1.50 a lb.  I know it's not the healthiest meat though we love it and at that price, I purchased a couple.

$ The local orchard also had little baskets of vegetables on sale that were looking a bit on their last legs.  I purchased a basket of green & red peppers (3 large) for $1 and a basket of tomatoes (3 large beefsteak and 3 plum) for $1.  I just made sure I used them right away.  The peppers went into chicken fajitas and the tomatoes into fresh tomato and basil pasta sauce.

$ I'm leaving for a weekend retreat today and the hotel where it is taking place gives us a discount.  Even so, it's hefty.  I have to leave today for administrative stuff and meals are not included until Friday evening when the retreat actually starts.  One of the things I'm doing is bringing something to heat up in the room microwave for tonight and some breakfast stuff for tomorrow. 

$ We have a small group that meets here every other week and we have a potluck dinner.  I generally provide the main part of the meal which I love doing since I am home.  But that is 11 people to feed each time so finding meals that will stretch that far and fill everyone up can be a challenge.  Last night we had chili that was heavier on the beans (I used dried pinto) than on the meat.  I served it with rice which made it stretch even further.  Everyone liked it and I also ended up with leftovers for the family today.

$ I received a stash (about 10 yards) of beautiful fabrics from a friend.

$ Make my own greeting cards from scrapbooking materials I've accumulated throughout the years. 



$ Made 4 table runners in the past week for my Etsy shop.  I will also have a table at the women's retreat this weekend with all three of my books, as well as my crafts.


$ I never go clothes shopping (maybe twice a year) but this week did need to get a couple of shirts.  Found them on the clearance rack at a department store and for $16 came home with 3 very nice tops.

$ Bought a pineapple on sale for $1.50.

$ I pack my son a dinner to take with him to work (he works 2nd shift).  Instead of buying individual bags of chips, I just buy a big bag at Aldi and put into individual baggies.

$ My daughter wanted to bring juice for her track practice after school.  Again, it's cheaper in a big bottle which I then pour into a smaller container.

That's it for this week!  I'm thankful for all the many ways I get to make our money stretch further.  You can read more money saving ideas at Rebecca's blog.

Comments

  1. A very prolific week!
    I wonder if you will be having any of your cards in your shop? I would love to order some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll get some in there in a few days, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I came over from zeahrenaissance and I admire all that you are able to do. You hit the nail on the head when you said that when you worked full time, you were too tired to think about putting forth more effort to save money. We work outside our home 6 days a week and we have three girls, so we often make convenient choices vs. money saving choices. I enjoyed your blog. Keep up the awesome work
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had planned on making some banana chocolate chip muffins today to stick in the freezer! I'm going to try a different recipe with applesauce and a little honey since I'm trying to watch my sugar grams right now. And, those are beautiful cards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could not agree more with your opening paragraph. I have worked both full and part time and it is stressful and hard to come out ahead.
    Frugal homemaking does take a lot of work and planning but I enjoy it and know it is all worthwhile.
    I don't think I have commented here before but I really enjoy your blog.

    Hope you enjoy the retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right Terri- that being frugal costs TIME.

    And lots of great food deals too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great price for apples. I agree about saving more when I work less. I am too tired to do anything, including cooking, when I work a lot of shifts. I am thankful to have a husband who does not push me to work full time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live