Sight Recovered


Mark 10:46-52 (MSG) ~

They spent some time in Jericho. As Jesus was leaving town, trailed by his disciples and a parade of people, a blind beggar by the name of Bartimaeus, son of Timaeus, was sitting alongside the road. When he heard that Jesus the Nazarene was passing by, he began to cry out, “Son of David, Jesus! Mercy, have mercy on me!” Many tried to hush him up, but he yelled all the louder, “Son of David! Mercy, have mercy on me!”

Jesus stopped in his tracks. “Call him over.”
They called him. “It’s your lucky day! Get up! He’s calling you to come!” Throwing off his coat, he was on his feet at once and came to Jesus.
Jesus said, “What can I do for you?”
The blind man said, “Rabbi, I want to see.”
“On your way,” said Jesus. “Your faith has saved and healed you.”
In that very instant he recovered his sight and followed Jesus down the road.

The crowd cringed as the blind beggar shouted over and over again, "Jesus! Have mercy!"  The more they tried to hush him up, the louder he yelled.  He didn't care what anyone thought about him.  He knew that the one who could heal him was near and he was determined to be heard.

Jesus stops, calls to him, and then asks him, "What do you want?"  The man simply says, "I want to see."  And just like that, he was healed.  Jesus states that this man's faith is what healed him.

Dan & I were recently at our annual District Prayer Conference for pastors. I always enjoy going because it's a way to catch up with friends I only see once or twice a year.  As we listen to the speakers, we get re-motivated and encouraged. 

The first night, during the break time in the church lobby, I was standing there with my crutches when a very young couple approached me.  I didn't know who they were but they asked me what happened to my leg.  So I shared with them.  Then they asked if they could pray for me.  When I agreed, they knelt down in the middle of the foyer with about a hundred people milling around, laid hands on my knee and leg and began to pray aloud.  To say, I was a bit embarrassed is an understatement.  I appreciated their desire to pray for me, but at least be respectable about it! (wink, wink)  They finished praying and I thanked them and then we went on our merry way.

I didn't think anything more about it until a few days later when the realization hit me that I was bending my knee more easily.  The stiffness was gone from my knee, as well as a lot of the pain.  Something seemed different. 

I thought, "I wonder if I've been healed?"  But the human, rational side said, "It's all in your head." but I couldn't get past the thought that something felt different.  So I shared with others that I thought my leg was healed (not 100%, but certainly something was different).  The more I shared, the more my faith that I had been healed kicked in.  I do know that a few kind of roll their eyes and think I went off my rocker, but I honestly believed that God had healed me.

Yesterday, I went to my doctor's appointment and after looking at the x-ray, he gave me freedom from my crutches and I was told I can weight-bear.  This is was to be a 12 week non-weight bearing prognosis which would then turn into partial weight-bearing and up to a year of physical therapy.  At 9 weeks I was told that my leg is looking good and I can walk on it.  I was told I can start to work on bending the knee more.  I still need to keep the brace on during the day for stability until I go back in 3 weeks, but the healing process escalated.

I have never experienced that type of healing before, but God in His mercy, granted it.  I am so thankful for this experience.  My faith-sight has been recovered.  I'm so thankful that this young couple who could have been my own children were willing to step out in faith and pray for me.

God is good!

Comments