Shaped


My stomach has been in knots lately.  Every time I turn on the news or open my Facebook page there is nothing but conflict, anger and aggressiveness. And all because some football players are making a statement about racism and inequality in this country.  

Before I go any further let me say, "I love my country."  I am thankful that I live in a country where I have the freedom to state my opinion.  That's what makes us free, and yet, I think many people forget that.


I also need to say that my family and our opinion about race in America has been shaped.  Shaped by our experiences.  All of my children have been extremely upset by the words coming out of the mouths of people.  They hurt for their friends.




My children grew up in the inner city.  Their friends were African-American, Latino and Muslim.  In fact, they were the only white children in their church, their school and their playgrounds.  Nathan was 7 years old when he asked me if he was white.  They didn't look at their friends as being black or brown.  It was just my friend, Latisha, Joseph or Javier.


The friends we shared cups of coffee and meals with talked to us freely about their daily encounters with racism.  My friend, Frieda, shared with me as tears ran down her face how that day she had sneezed in the store and a man called her a dirty "n".  Another friend expressed frustration that her Wall Street executive husband broke down in a white suburb, and people called the cops on him because they thought he was up to no good.




Their pain and daily struggle was real.  These were mothers and fathers who were frightened every time their teenage sons left the house because they didn't know if they were going to be coming home that day.  Another friend of ours, who was a white sheriff, often lamented to us that black men were targeted by some in his profession.  

All of these things have shaped my views of the world.  You cannot sit down over a meal with someone who is different from you, hear their heart stories and not start to change inside.  You can't worship with another believer who is struggling without feeling their pain as well. It's no longer some random news story. It is now the flesh and blood reality of racism in our country.  




So as I watch the news and read post after post of people upset over kneeling during the anthem, I view it differently.  I understand why these players are doing what they are doing. 


Is it disrespectful?  Perhaps, though I think people are missing at the heart of the message. It's about inequality and racism in America. Some may have the wrong motives or be showboating.  Is it meant to get our attention?  Yes, these are public figures who have a venue and it's a way to get the message out.  

Should we listen and try to understand?  Absolutely!  Let's sit down over a cup of coffee and break some bread together and listen.  Don't defend your point of view, don't react, just listen.

I know there will be many who will disagree with me.  It's okay; I still love my friends.  I also have had conversations with many fellow pastor's and ministry leaders who feel the same as I do. However, many people won't, or don't want to understand.  


My only desire is to have the heart of God and try and figure out how He wants me to respond.  I'm fairly certain that the One who died for the world would be less concerned about disrespecting a flag and more about the person and their pain - whether you see it as real or perceived.

May our hearts be the same as the Lord's for His people.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live