Frugal Friday


We were watching television last night when a commercial came on for some website where you bid on great deals.  Different people were giving testimonials about how much money they saved, and one of the women said she won 104 auctions in the last month.  I turned to Dan and said, "This is marketing to people who are shopaholics who think they are saving money because they are getting wonderful prices, but the reality is they are still purchasing items they really don't need!"

It's so easy to think we are saving money because we got a great deal on something, but if we are purchasing items that really aren't necessary then we aren't saving at all.  The key is to plug up the spending holes.  If you don't need it, don't buy it!  Easier said than done sometimes, but I generally follow this principle.

Here are some ways I've saved this week:

$ I got my hair cut and colored and again, my hairdresser and I barter.  I do any sewing she has in exchange for this.

$ I mentioned yesterday that I am making do with my stash of fabric for my craft fair tomorrow.  


$ Last night as I was getting ready for bed I received a message from someone for a very large order due on November 9th.  I'll be making 50 tea towels, 25 mug cozies, 15 tea pot cozies and 25 jars of tea jelly for a large craft expo for about 5,000 people.  They will be going into tea baskets being sold there.

$ Paid off a credit card and canceled it.

$ Canceled another credit card and we are in the process of whittling down that debt.

$ I was at the health food store the other day to pick up some items which can be pricey.  The cashier told me that a regular customer leaves gift certificates to be applied to random shoppers' purchases.  I was chosen that day and received $10 off my order.

That's it for this week.  I stay out of the stores as much as possible and that is the major way I save.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live