Be the Best Version of You on this Frugal Friday












For as long as I can remember I've always been a daydreamer. I remember sitting in class as a child, staring out the window at the clouds, and seeing all kinds of shapes in them. I spent hours pretending I was a teacher, a singer, a mother, and a host of other things that my make believe child's world allowed me to dream.

As an adult, I see beauty in the every day ordinary things and that makes them extraordinary. I can't go for a walk without stopping to take pictures of little things that are brilliant with color. Pictures and words and sights and sounds make my eyes well with tears because I'm just overwhelmed with the beauty that God has given us in this world. My mind is constantly coming up with some new writing or idea or piece of art. It makes it a bit difficult to stay focused at times, but while I work on that, I also know some of this is the way God made me.

I'm creative in my homemaking, my ministry, my crafting, my writing and even in my cooking. It's who I am so I'm going to work on being the best version of who I am. And I want to encourage you to do the same. God created you with gifts, talents, and personality. While we need to work on those things in our life that should be pruned or removed (talking sin issues and bad habits), some of the things that make you inherently you should be embraced. Do things to the best of your ability and make this world beautiful. Celebrate the woman that God made!

My creativity spills over into my frugality. When I can do both together, it's even sweeter. Being frugal doesn't mean everything has to be stark and there is inherit creativity in making your money stretch. 

As I look back over the past week, I've been frugal and creative in the following ways:

$ A friend gave me about a yard and a half of Christmas fabric and I was able to make an adult apron, a child's apron, and a teapot cozy with still enough left over to make a couple of tissue holders. Free fabric is always good! :-)

$ I didn't go grocery shopping until yesterday morning so we were down to just a few things in my fridge and freezer since I shopped 2 weeks ago. I had 2 lbs. of ground beef left in the freezer. So one day I made a Korean ground beef rice bowl and the second day I made chili. There is enough chili left over to stretch another dinner.

$ The grape jelly I made last week flopped. I used instant pectin by mistake and it didn't set at all. I really didn't want to waste 9 jars of jelly, but grape is one of those flavors that is strong and hard to incorporate in some things. However, after thinking about it, I ended up making both tartlets and granita which is basically Italian ice. For the granita I added some extra water to cut some of the syrupy sugar flavor. It turned out very delicious and refreshing.

$ For our retreat, I decorate while at the same time, trying the best I can to keep the cost down. We have a theme each year and this year's theme is based on Isaiah 61:3b and oaks of righteousness and growing deep roots. I found a photographer's backdrop for $17 with a large tree on it. A friend let us borrow her bench and I decorated with things I had around the house. 

$ I've made so many table runners throughout the years that I have some for each season and use them in my decorating at both home and in our church.

Being creative brings me joy and contentment. I'm thankful that I'm wired this way and I'm learning to embrace who God made me to be!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live