Daily Bread



Ding. When I turned my phone on this morning my little notification message made it's alert noise to let me know that I had an email. I opened it to see a message from my daughter's school letting me know her tuition bill was ready to view. The moment I had dreaded for most of the summer had arrived.

I closed the window without clicking on the link and took another sip of coffee.  I didn't want to look just yet and needed time to pray and get spiritually ready before I opened that bill.

I had just read the passage where Jesus prays that His Heavenly Father would provide daily bread. Just enough for that day. I gave a message on Monday and talked about Jesus' miracles as He prayed and multiplied fish and bread to feed crowds. Afterwards, the disciples gathered up the leftovers and there were basketfuls of remaining bread.


The God who multiplies bread can certainly provide what we need to pay one bill. But that one bill is often in the thousands of dollars. We are running on fumes by the end of the summer. How are we going to handle this? Where will the money come from? What kind of payment plan can we do when even the minimum payment is more than we have in our account and they expect it to be paid in full by October?



I prayed and worked through my anxious thoughts. Surely, I can trust God who has provided for us repeatedly? I just need to eat the bread for this day and not worry about tomorrow's bread. He who provided today will provide for tomorrow. He does it over and over and over again and I know that and can trust that He will do it again.



I felt His peace wash over me and finally opened the bill and the words, "Thank you, Jesus," rolled off my tongue. This bill was more than we have but it is the least amount we've ever owed. Emily's scholarship that she's earning by working for AmeriCorps this summer will cover almost all of it. 

Once again God provided daily bread and I've been fed for today. He is good and He provides what we need right when we need it. And He leaves us filled up, sustained, not lacking in anything. And it is so good!




Comments

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live