His Compelling Love


A thought came crashing in on me this morning and I was reminded of a truth found in scripture that I sometimes forget. It's easy to slip into a self-centered mode of thinking. I find that over time I've gotten into a poor me attitude about many things in my life, including ministry. As I was reading this morning, the following verses resounded within me.

2 Corinthians 5:14-15 says, "For Christ's love compels us, since we have reached this conclusion: If One died for all, then all died. And He died for all so that those who live should no longer live for themselves, but for the One who died for them and was raised.

My life is not about me. It's about Christ. When I get up each day, everything that I do and every decision I make should be in the light of this fact. Dan and I both received a definite call upon our lives to full-time ministry. It wasn't a whim and it wasn't our own desire. It was a calling. Dan was a student at Penn State University and in a campus ministry meeting when He felt that call to be a pastor. I was sitting on a boulder on a mountain top, reading and praying, when I felt God stirring that desire within me as a teenager. 

It's definitely one of the few times both of us felt that we audibly heard God and He has confirmed that calling many times. We have seen the Lord answer direct prayers that can't be explained away by our finite brains.


  • His love compels us to go visit someone in the hospital when we'd rather watch television. 
  • His love compels us to give of our time and resources to minister to a small group of people week after week.
  • His love compels us to remain faithful in preaching the Good News even when there is disinterest.
  • His love compels us to follow Him wherever He leads even if that were to mean going to a different country and into a dangerous situation.
  • His love compels us to get up day after day and do the work He has given to us for that day.
  • His love compels us because of the sacrifice He made for our life. 
  • His love compels us because we want to walk in obedience in the calling He has put on our lives.
That crashing truth caused me to sit up and pay attention this morning. My life is not about me. It's about bringing glory to His name in all that I do. And His love should compel all of us to change the way we live regardless of whether you are in full-time ministry or not. If we say we are a follower of Jesus Christ than we no longer live for ourselves, but for Christ.

That reminder this morning makes this Multitude Monday one  for which I am extremely thankful.

Comments

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live