A Change of Perspective




There is a running conversation in my house that goes something like this...

Stephen: "I cannot wait until November!"

Me: "Why?" "November is such a dreary month!"

Stephen: "Because it's almost Thanksgiving and Christmas!" "I love the holidays!"

I guess it's a matter of perspective, isn't it? To me November means bare trees, gray skies and the promise of the coming snowmaggedon. To him, it's the promise of good food, music, movies and warm fuzzy feelings.

It's a good example of what our lives can be like. Are we living our life in anticipation of what God is going to do, or are we living in dread and fear of the trials we are facing? I have to admit that sometimes I get so fixated on the problems that I forget to see the blessings. And I really don't like the way I behave when I'm in that mode.

Because when I'm focusing on the trial, I whine and complain. I worry and cry and get depressed. I doubt and even begin to despair. It's as if I'm living under perpetual November skies. 

And yet, God is there and He has it under control. He sees the end result and He knows how it will all play out. He's not wringing His hands and pacing and thinking, "What in the world am I going to do?" And I've seen Him work repeatedly in my life so there really should be no need for me to worry.

What it does require is for me to pray each day and give that concern over to Him. It requires me to adjust my attitude and sometimes my behavior. It means that I'm going to have to relinquish control of the situation and allow God to work out His will for my life. 

When I do that, I feel His peace wash over me. I sense Him at work, and often I see how He is working in the situation. When I change my perspective and thank Him for what He is going to do through the situation, I actually begin to feel joyful. I see the wonder of His blessings.

And then I begin to look forward in anticipation to what He has in store for me through this trial. And that is what a change of perspective can do!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live