Rock Polishers


I stooped to pick up a rock at the beach and felt the smooth warmth in my hand. It's amazing to me that the water pounding over and over onto the rocks will smooth out the rough edges and polish them to the point where they are almost like glass.

It made me think of the rough waves in my own life. Each one not welcomed at the moment and yet, as I reflect back, have been used to make the same result on my character and life. I am thankful for the experiences I've had in my life, no matter how painful.  At the time, each of those experiences alone felt like a wave, pushing me down and causing discomfort. Some were larger and more turbulent than others. 


As the waves crashed over me, it often seemed as if I were drowning in troubles. But as I look back, I can see how each of those experiences was used for a specific purpose. They were being used to smooth out my rough edges and mold my character to become more like Christ. When I reflect back on those experiences now, I see the beauty and the polished edges that have occurred.

I can see that they were actually being used by the Lord to direct my steps. He has used those events to shape me in to the woman I am today and I am thankful for that. 

When I am in a period of time where I have a wave crashing over me repeatedly, and when I feel like I can't get a breath, when I'm tempted to give up and give way to despair, I remember those rocks. I remember the smooth feel and the polished look. I remember that God is bigger than any trials that I face or my family goes through. And I keep treading water and taking a deep breath before the wave breaks over my head again.

I may be tumbled around. I may be bruised and battered. But I'm not broken and those rough edges are getting smoothed out. And that makes the wave worth enduring.


Psalm 46:1-3 ~

God is our refuge and strength,
a helper who is always found
in times of trouble.

Therefore we will not be afraid,
though the earth trembles
and the mountains topple
into the depths of the seas,
though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with its turmoil.

Comments

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live