The Sound of Silence


We are starved for quiet, to hear the sound of sheer silence that is the presence of God himself. 
~ Ruth Haley Barton

I've been in a strange head space lately. I went from having tons of ministry activity, most of which involved leadership and teaching, to coming to what feels like a screeching halt. We've been here a month and I'm still finding my way in our new church. There is lots of "activity" I can do, but I'm being very slow and selective about plunging into the ministry pool because I see a problem with just jumping in.

When I look back at some of the activity I've done in the past I wonder how much of that was really from the Lord and how much of it was me stepping into roles that perhaps I shouldn't have. And that's not because I wasn't capable of doing them, but at times, the activity overtook the need to hear from God. I can become so busy with activity when what the longing inside of me really needs is more of God. More of His presence and more of being filled with Him. And in order for that to happen I need to still myself long enough to listen. 

When I'm quiet and listening I can figure out what He is trying to say to me. If I allow some silence into my life, I can actually hear that still, quiet voice. 

I'm not sure what the Lord has for me in this season of my life but I want to be still and listen. I want to come into His presence and receive whatever it is He has to give. I want to drown out the opinion that others have about what I should be doing, and allow God to show me what it is I need to do.

And figuring that out is going to take the sound of silence. Silence is hard for me. It feels unnatural. But it is necessary.

Comments

  1. I will take you to a place that is very, very, silent.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing I know who this is or else that would sound really creepy! lol

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah... Whoops.
      When I comment it shows my email address. I thought it would show with it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live