All God's Children


This little one caught my eye yesterday at the market. His family was directly across the street from me, selling their fruits, vegetables and other homemade goods. He played while his older brothers, sister, and father set up the booth.

He was a happy little guy. He smiled and was fascinated with the market mascot, a man dressed in a dog costume. He helped his older brothers carry some things. He played, ate pizza, and dosed in a chair. He was a sweet three year old.

This family is there each week, working hard, being pleasant and providing valuable goods to the community at a very reasonable price. 

And then about an hour before the market closed, two men rode by on bikes and screamed obscenities about the Amish down the street. Everyone froze and it put a damper on the day. 

But what broke my heart was the look on this family's faces; especially the children. These children had to hear hateful words spewed out about them by adults. 




Hatred and fear towards those who are different has been around since the fall. I know that, but I don't understand it. I will never understand how someone can dislike someone else because of the color of their skin, their ethnicity, or their beliefs.

And when we spout our views either loudly and publicly, or behind closed doors at home, it's the children who suffer the most. Either through being the target of another's venom or through learning to be the one spewing the hate.

It would be wonderful if we could come to appreciate and learn from our differences, rather than react with fear and anger. I know this will never happen because we live in a fallen world with a sinful nature. Hatred, racism and fear have been here since the very beginning. 

But every so often I long for the day when we can appreciate the fact that we are created in His image - unique and beautiful - God's children.

Comments

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live