Frugal Friday


“The simplest things are overlooked. And yet, it is the simplest things that are the most essential.”
― Thomas Lloyd Qualls


It's been so long since I've done a Frugal Friday post and I thought it was time to do one. I know I talk a lot about living simply and some of frugality goes hand in hand with this. A simple lifestyle is not having the desire to obtain the latest gadget and making due with what you have. And that naturally creates the idea of use it up, make it due, wear it out or do without.

I'm not promoting a pilgrim lifestyle but I do think it's good to evaluate what can be used more efficiently, what can be used up, and what is really necessary in our lives. I've been trying to refocus on this a bit more lately and writing these posts help in that area.

Here are some ways I've saved lately:

$ A friend dropped off 41 yards of fabric to me the other day. Wow! And usually when I get fabric it may be items the person has no use for or aren't very pretty. This was amazingly good fabric with beautiful fall prints. It felt like Christmas and represents hundreds of dollars worth of fabric.


$ I did a cost comparison of the diced tomatoes I processed the other day with the canned tomatoes I normally get and it came out even. However, these are in glass jars so no tinny tomato taste and only have two ingredients - tomatoes and lemon juice. The tomatoes were locally grown and weren't sprayed with harmful pesticides and were fresh off the vine so it was definitely worth it.

$ I went to a meeting a few weeks ago and someone had some squash from their garden for the taking. I took a couple of summer squash and an acorn squash and was able to use those in different meals.

$ I make my own bread and it's definitely cheaper and healthier. There aren't a ton of different preservatives in it.



I canned applesauce from freshly picked apples and this was definitely cheaper than store bought.

$ I don't go out and purchase new decorations every year for fall but use the same ones each year. Because I have a particular decorating taste it blends together nicely with the fall decorations.



$ I spruced up my back patio yesterday and loved being able to use some of the decorations there. I've had that flag for the past 10 years. Our previous house didn't have anywhere to hang it but I held on to it anyway and I'm glad I did. I was able to pull it out and use it here. 


$ We were able to pay off 3 bills last week which was a wonderful feeling! We've been adding a bit extra to each bill and then I made enough in sales to pay off all three in one swoop. We are on our way to being debt-free.

$ Staycations are a great way to save. We don't have money for fancy vacations and fortunately we are both blessed with enjoying the simplicity of hiking and getting out in nature. So we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves this summer.

$ I'm thankful that I have a skill that allows me to make some money while I'm in ministry, but that also allows me the ability to make things for the home as well as gifts. 


$ Normally, I let my potted herbs dies off for the winter and then purchase new in the spring. This year, I brought the two herbs I have growing - mint and parsley - inside to see how they do indoors. I cut the mint way back as it was starting to die and it's starting to take on new life. Yay!

 $ I made a roast chicken the other night. The next day I simmered the carcass and added bay leaves, peppercorns, and some kosher salt to make broth.

$ I had a bit of leftover mashed potatoes, gravy and veggies, along with leftover chicken and made chicken soup with it all. Pared it with a loaf of fresh made bread and it was delicious!


$ I had a loaf of store bought bread we had been using for sandwiches and the two heels were left. I put them in a freezer bag in the freezer and they will be ground up for bread crumbs at a later date.

There are so many little things we do that actually add up to big dividends. I am thankful that I learned to do these things years and years ago. It's second nature now. If you are struggling with spending too much, start small and make one little change. Once you've gotten comfortable with that, make another, and so on. Eventually you will find that things you think you need are really nonessential.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live