Tune in to the Beauty


I struggle through these drab winter months. Either everything is dreary and gray or a blanket of unending white. The days are dark and the nights darker. And for this woman who needs a bit of beauty in her life these months are always particularly difficult. I crave sunshine, flowers, and warmth.

But one thing I do that helps me get through is try and find a bit of beauty in everyday things. I know some people roll their eyes when I say that, but my artistic side needs to see some beauty because it's what brings me joy. It is what inspires me, and it is what helps me create. 

So I see beauty in a freshly made loaf of bread.


Beauty in $4 flowers from the grocery store - beautiful and yet, frugal.


Beauty in mixing and matching fabrics together.
 

Beauty in the handiwork of past generations.


Beauty in God's handiwork; jewel drops of water.


Beauty in handwritten notes of encouragement; both given and received.


The beauty of discovering new truths in God's timeless Word.


I have always had a desire to see beauty - in nature, in people, in words. There is much that is ugly in this world, but in the middle of the ugly is also some God-ordained, holy beauty.

It's just a matter of opening your eyes and looking for it. For some it comes easier than for others. For years I kept feeling like I was lacking because I have a sensitive nature. I thought I need to toughen up and harden myself. Often I will read something or be walking in the woods and tears spring to my eyes as I'm enthralled with the beauty around me. I've learned and am still learning to embrace who I am and how God wired me. 

I love the beauty, but more importantly, I'm tuned in to the Creator of that beauty. And that's an important difference; I don't worship the creation, but I worship the One who created it all. I am appreciative of the beauty around me because I can see the hand of God in all that He created.

Take a moment, stop today and look for the beauty around you. It's there and waiting to be discovered!

Comments