Undivided

 

I sat through a 6-hour online conference yesterday and as always, it helped to keep me encouraged in our ministry here. I came away with fresh energy, fresh ideas and a renewed excitement to serve the Lord in the place He has called us to be.

But I also was reminded once again how easily I am led down the path of busy instead of stopping and staying focused on the Lord. As humans, we are very easily divided in our devotion. Even for those of us in full-time ministry it's quite easy to replace spending time with the Lord with activity. How often do I read a few verses in my Bible, throw up a few hurried prayers so I can get on with the task at hand?

In the story of Martha and Mary in Luke, chapter 10, the problem wasn't that Martha was attempting to serve a meal, but Jesus saw past her service and revealed what was at the core issue. She was undivided in her focus on what God wanted for her. She had replaced relationship with frenzied activity. She had become so intent on the task that she was willing to berate her sister in front of this honored guest.

As I opened my Bible to Psalms and read this verse, God pricked my spirit. I want to serve God, but forget that my service needs to flow out of my relationship with Him. As I sit at His feet and learn from Him, He will reveal what it is He wants me to do.

May we all have undivided hearts. Take time to sit at the feet of Jesus today. Learn from Him. Listen to Him and commune with Him. And then see what it is He wants you to do.

Comments

  1. 6 hours on line sounds a very long time to me.But so glad it was inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally this is a yearly one day training for our district pastors and ministry leaders, but due to Covid restrictions they moved it online. I am thankful that there were lots of breaks in between speakers but it was still a long time to be looking at a screen!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live