Crafty Things



I've been sick the past few weeks and have very little energy, but the one thing I have managed to do is to make a batch of soap each day, as well as some sewing. The farmer's market I participate in will be coming up again in a few months and since each batch of soap takes 4-6 weeks to cure I decided to get a jump start on it. I currently have 56 bars of soap curing and have been trying to make a batch each day. 

I make my soap in small batches to be able to control the process better. My soaps have oatmeal in them to help moisturize the skin and are made with goat's milk. I also don't use fragrance oil; only essential oils. I currently have eucalyptus-peppermint, lavender-peppermint, lemongrass and sage, orange and star anise, Siberian fir, and grapefruit and aloe. 

I'm assuming they all smell great, but since I lost my sense of taste and smell over a week ago, I can't tell! lol






 

Each day I try to do one or two sewing projects so I can restock my Etsy shop. I have made clothespin bags, placemats, and casserole dish cozies the past couple of weeks. Right now I have serving bowl size cozies in the works. 

I wasn't feeling it yesterday so finally stopped. I find that if I'm not in the mood to sew it's best to just stop because that's when I start making a lot of mistakes. One of the things I do need to do is organize my sewing room. It's a mess right now and I need to get it in shape, but that's going to have to wait until I feel better.

I'm really looking forward to summer, warm weather, and the farmer's market! It was a good experience here last summer and it's a great way to meet people. We moved here last January and 2 months later Covid happened so I haven't had the opportunity to get to know my community like I would like to. I'm hoping this year with the vaccines that we might see some loosening up of the restrictions so I can actually get out and about!

Comments

  1. You are amazing Terri. after such a horrid illness you need to be resting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only do what I physically feel like each day. I'd say I'm sitting and reading or resting about 85% of the time right now. This all took place over 3-4 weeks time. :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Terri, I'm curious how did you learn to make the soap? Is it very hard to do? I'm homeschooling my kids this year because of Covid and was wondering if making soap would be a good project to do with kids ages 9 & 11?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had been wanting to make soap for quite a while but wasn't sure where to start. And then I had a friend who wrote a book that spelled it out so clearly that I took the plunge.

      Here is the link to the book called, The Natural Soap Chef - https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Soap-Chef-Luxurious-Delights/dp/1612430627

      The only thing I would CAUTION in making soap with children is that it uses lye which is dangerous to work with. I would be a bit hesitant doing it with them unless they are very mature and follow the safety procedures well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.