Crossing the Finish Line


I first felt God's call upon my life as a young teenager. I remember sitting in rapt attention as my mother would read us stories of missionaries. Something began to stir in my soul way back then, a calling to a particular purpose. 

That calling was solidified when I went off to college and there were a few times when I clearly sensed God speaking to me. And so off into full-time ministry I went. I met my husband at seminary and we ended up doing ten years of inner city ministry together and then went on into church planting and now church ministry.

But at times, I've veered off course. I've gotten distracted by the cares and burdens I bear. I've fixated on the wrong thing. I've allowed people to derail me. At times, my anxiety has caused me to stop running this race that I'm in.

I'm so thankful for some very clear ways God has allowed me to rest when I need it, but then has nudged me to get back up and run that race. This week was one of those ways. I met with a fellow ministry friend the other day and we spent the morning together. She encouraged me, listened to my heart, and helped me work through a challenge. 

I felt like she was standing on the sidelines of my race, cheering me on! Sometimes, you just need to hear someone say, "You can do it!" "You've got this!" "I believe in you!"

This race I'm in is not an easy one. Sometimes I stumble and sometimes, I even want to throw in the towel and give up. And yet, the Lord seems to know those times when I need a cup of cold water, a pat on the back, and an encouraging voice.

Look around you and see who you can cheer on today! You never know how your words may encourage them in their race.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live