The Lens of Thanksgiving


I headed out to one of my favorite places to walk after dinner tonight. I was the only one there and it was peaceful and relaxing. I walked, I prayed, I worshipped and just enjoyed the time alone.


This week has been a good one and I'm so thankful for the many blessings that God has given me. Some are big, but most are small and are easy to miss unless you are looking. My desire is to always be thankful for my life. 

Circumstances can be difficult, and life isn't always easy, but I don't want to waste it whining and complaining. I've been around people who seem to be emotionally tied to their circumstances and it just seems exhausting to me. When things are good, they are happy. When things go wrong, they are miserable. 

I want to accept what comes my way and while it obviously wouldn't be something I choose for myself, I want to accept it with grace. That is only going to happen if I continue to live with thanksgiving. 

I normally do these posts on Monday mornings, but tomorrow we are headed up to my daughter's to get her brakes fixed so I decided to go ahead and post tonight.

This week I'm thankful for the following things in my life.

~ We live close enough to Emily and Stephen that we get to see them often.

~ Good sales at the farmer's market. 

~ Unexpected surprises.


~ Celebrating my husband's birthday with his favorite dessert - pie.

~ I love cooking and baking and I'm thankful that it's enjoyable to me.


~ Early morning walks.

~ The opportunity to pray with women around the world this week.

~ My son, Nathan, has a new job and he loves it. It's such a healthier situation for him.

~ Stephen works with parents who have had their children removed from their home for one reason or another. It's such a difficult job for him, but I'm thankful that he is learning much from it. 

~ Emily finished her college career well and ended up making the Dean's list this past semester. I'm thankful that she works hard and is determined.

~ I opened a new bottle of hair spray that I had brought home from my mother's house back in January. It was the brand she used and when I sprayed it on my hair, instant memories of her came flooding back and brought tears to my eyes and sadness to my heart. But once again, I'm thankful that my sister and I were able to spend her final weeks with her, caring for her.

My heart is full tonight as I type this. I'm looking forward to seeing what the coming week holds. No matter what happens I want to continue to view things through the lens of thanksgiving.

Comments

  1. That was a lovely post Terri, thank you. I too have memoreis of my mum, triggered by a scent or a photo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.