Frugal Friday

With our economy in complete shambles nowadays, frugal living has become a cheaper way of life for many people and families throughout the entire world. 
~ Ricky Gomez, Frugal Living

Frugal Friday posts are a way to help me look back and see some ways I've cut corners and saved. I hope it's a way to help inspire others to see ways that they can also cut back on some of their expenses. 

One of the biggest ways to cut back is to eat at home. We are not always great at it, especially now that there is just the three of us at home, but I'm trying to get back into a rhythm of cooking.

Yesterday, I made a big bowl of tabbouleh which I can keep in the refrigerator and we can eat as we want. Tabbouleh is a middle eastern salad made with bulgur, vegetables, parsley and equal parts of lemon juice and olive oil. I threw in a handful of pecans just to give it some added protein. 


Homemade pizza made with a bit of leftover dough from another meal.


Last night's dinner. 

Again, it's far more inexpensive to eat in than go out to eat all the time. 

Another way I've saved is by saying, "Yes!" I had a couple of friends over the past few weeks ask if I would like something they were giving away. Now let me just add a caveat. If I will never use it and it's not something I need I turn it down. I don't need to collect clutter. However, many things are useful.

I received some books that I know I'll use in my ministry. I received a box full of cellophane gift bags that will definitely be put to use. And I was given some candy molds that I will use. I'm so grateful for generous friends.

A huge blessing that I received yesterday was the following gifting of gooseberries. A friend invited me to come pick off their bushes so I can use them to make jam for the farmer's market. However, we couldn't come up with a time so I told him that I was going to have to pass on them this year. Yesterday, he showed up with 15 quarts which he, his wife, daughter and another friend had picked. I was floored and thankful! They will be receiving a few jars of jam in return.  


Because I have a sewing business, I obviously love fabric! Sometimes I think I should purge some of the pieces that I haven't used in a long time. However, in this case, I'm thankful I hung on to some homespun cotton that I had because I received a custom order for a casserole carrier and bowl covers in homespun.

They turned out so cute!



Speaking of fabric, in traveling this week, I stopped in at a little fabric store out in the middle of nowhere that I used to frequent. It is owned by a very sweet Mennonite woman and I knew that her prices were fabulous. I was able to stock up on fabric there at $4.99 per yard. It's high quality quilter's cotton and I'm thankful that a couple of times a year, I travel close to where it is located.

Groceries are always a challenge here. We live on the western side of the state and because of the cost of trucking items, groceries are expensive here compared to the last two places we have lived. 

I was happy to find out about a little Amish store for dried goods. It's a cash or check only business, but the prices for baking supplies are outstanding. 

Yesterday, I tried a little local store to see what it was like and I'm glad I did as it was much cheaper. For $29 I got the following: 2 avocados, 2 bunches of parsley, 1 bunch of cilantro, 6 apples, a box of baby spinach, 3 lbs. of vine-ripened tomatoes, a bag of radishes, 1/2 lb. of snap peas, 1 bunch of bananas, 2 bulbs of garlic, 1 quart of milk and 1 lb. of bologna. In comparing, I saved about $10-$15 for the same items in the grocery store.

And finally, vacation frugality is something we've mastered. Dan and I are on vacation and we've discovered throughout the years how to enjoy it without spending a fortune. We've gone hiking and always pack a lunch. The scenery is free, the exercise is good for us, and we get to enjoy one another's company.




So these are just a few ways I've saved over the past couple of weeks. I can always do better and when I don't stay diligent it's easy to let the expenses creep back in. However, I love a good challenge so I find it fun to keep on trying!


Comments

  1. I love these posts. The homespun bag and bowl covers are so nice. My whole home is primitive so I am partial to anything made with homespun. Wished I lived closer to purchase somethings from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa! If you ever do decide you want to order, the link to my Etsy shop is on the sidebar on the blog.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live