Frugal Friday

Last Saturday I decided to do a "Sticker Shock" Food Pantry Challenge and try to forgo buying anything for my freezer and pantry for the month of April. I thought it would be a fun exercise to make due with what I had and save a bit of money. I had decided that I would allot $20 per week to purchase things like milk and fresh veggies and fruit.

Another thought I had though as I have mulled over this is that if I do see something at a really good price, I will purchase it because who knows if the prices will not go even higher!

I did great this week though and haven't been in the grocery store at all. 

I was blessed with a gift of about 6 packages of beef and my son told me he is bringing home a large bag of potatoes from work. I'm thankful for these gifts because it helps!

Here are the meals I made this week.

Meals:

4/2 - 

Breakfast - Granola

Lunch - Lentils and brown rice with kale

Dinner - Creamy tomato soup and grilled cheese with brandied apricot bacon jam and spinach



4/3- 

Breakfast - Peanut butter on toast,

Lunch - Bridal shower at church with a salad bar - I brought 2 dozen chopped eggs, carrots, sunflower seeds and Italian dressing) 

Dinner - leftovers


4/4 - 

Breakfast - Hard boiled eggs 

Lunch - Brought lunch to my in-laws to celebrate my mother-in-law's 87th birthday (Pasta Fagioli, sourdough bread, French lemon yogurt cake)

Dinner - Beef stroganoff, salad




4/5 - 

Breakfast - Homemade sourdough cinnamon raisin bagels with cream cheese

Lunch - Salad 

Dinner - Bierocks (Eastern European hand pies with ground beef, cabbage and onion)



4/6 - 

Breakfast - Homemade English muffins, eggs, bacon 

Lunch - Egg salad sandwiches, pretzels

Dinner - Spanish style chicken and beans over rice, salad



4/7 - 

Breakfast - Granola 

Lunch - Egg salad sandwich and apple 

Dinner - Hamburgers on English muffins, potato wedges, green beans 

Items used up from freezer, fridge and pantry:

1/3 bag of Colby jack cheese
1 jar apricot preserves
1 quart tomato sauce
One can of tomato paste
3 pint diced tomatoes
Rest of heavy cream
One bag of egg noodles
One container of sour cream
One package of stew beef
Two package ground beef
One lb. bacon
One package chicken breast

1/3 cabbage

Used chopped eggs to make egg salad

Used all the potatoes potatoes

1 package green beans 

1 bag kidney beans

Used all the onions


Not a bad week! It's been fun coming up with some different meals as well and Dan and Nathan have loved them all. I know it'll get a bit harder as I start to use things up, but I'm enjoying myself. I am going to have to get some eggs this week as I used most of them when I made the chopped eggs for the shower (have 3 left).


We shall see how the upcoming week goes.

Comments

  1. In this financial climate I think we are all having to be so careful about planning and using what we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Which is why I am keeping my eye on sales so I don't miss them but then making due with what I have on hand.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live