Shattered


I joined about 80 other women from around the world who are part of our denomination for a time of prayer this morning. We were praying specifically for the countries of Turkey and Syria. The churches in those countries have boots on the ground as they work to bring food, drink, shelter and clothing to those who are in crisis do to the devastating earthquakes there.

As we prayed I felt my heart shatter and break for people in trauma. We prayed for those who have lost loved ones, those who are injured, those who have lost all of their possessions and those who are still trapped.

My heart shattered over the renewed realization that so many people in this world are in total devastation - helpless, hopeless and suffering. And yet, I can be so self-absorbed and selfish. My problems seem so small in comparison. 

Unfortunately, our churches can be that way too. I've met so many hurting people who truly need someone to come alongside them and love on them. And what are we concerned about? 

We worry about whether our type of music will be sung, if people are acting properly, if our decorations look just so and if our preferences are being met. We get all worked up over getting our way and all the while there is a hurting world out there. There are people who need us to set aside our selfishness and who really need us to get up off our seats and out into the world to help and to show the love of Christ.

I want our churches to do better, but I also want to do better. It starts with me and a change in my heart. I'm thankful for that time of prayer this morning. As women from all over the world prayed in unison in their own language I felt God speak to me once again about keeping the focus on what is important.

A shattered heart can be a good thing. I'm thankful. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live