Patience and Persistence





I'm an impatient person by nature. I move fast and want things done quickly and I'm not always wanting to take my time to do something. But this weekend I was reminded of the importance of slowing down and being patient. As I've gotten older I definitely see the value in these things. 

It's been such a rainy, cold and dreary spring so it was nice to wake up to warm temperatures and bright sunshine on Saturday. I got an early start on the day and ran quite a few errands before I headed to a friend's house to pick her dandelions.

Each year she has let me come and get them because most of the yards are sprayed around here. I wanted to find an unsprayed source so I can turn them into jelly.

I spent an enjoyable 45 minutes, wandering around her yard and plucking the flowers. I ended up with two baskets full and after church yesterday I made the jelly. I always think the color is so beautiful. Golden and delicious!


I was also able to make a large pot of spaghetti sauce which I used in 3 pans of lasagna. I've been bringing meals to my inlaw's who are struggling physically and I also worked ahead for a dinner I'm hosting tomorrow night for some of the women in our church.  


One of the reasons I like cooking and baking is that it reminds me to slow down. Bread takes time to rise. It requires patience and care. You can't rush the process. When you take your time with it, you end up with a perfect loaf of bread. 


All of the things I enjoyed doing this weekend took time and patience. As I picked dandelions and settled in to do that, I was able to experience the feel of the warm sunshine on my head. I could hear the birds singing in the trees. I felt the breeze blowing. And all of those things helped create peace within my spirit.

My husband and I spent time putting mulch under the front bushes. That too was a sweet time as we worked together and accomplished that task. As we methodically placed the landscaping material down and then covered it with a few inches of mulch, we connected in a way we can't when we are racing past each other on our way to the next thing.

As I put together the large pot of sauce, I thought about the people it would be blessing. I prayed for my mother-in-law and father-in-law and was reminded of the many ways they cared for us throughout the years and was thankful we can return that love now.

As I looked at the rows of jelly I made, I had a feeling of satisfaction, knowing that I'm carrying on traditions that my grandmothers and ancestors did years ago. I live in a different time and have so many options at the grocery store and yes, it would be easier to go purchase it, but I'm thankful that I'm able to do these tasks myself. 


All of these things remind me that anything good in life requires patience and persistence. And that is a wonderful lesson we all can learn.

Comments

  1. I have never had dandelion jelly, but your always looks so appetising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It has a bit of a honey flavor.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.