Get Down to Work

Colossians 3:17 ~

And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Colossians 3:23-24 ~

Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men, knowing that you will receive the reward of an inheritance from the Lord. You serve the Lord Christ.

At times I read these verses and think it's all about working hard and making sure that I'm diligent because I'm working for the Lord. But today the Holy Spirit revealed a deeper truth beneath the underlined words. 

When we strip away all our "noble" thoughts do we really live by the truth of these verses or are we continuing to try and earn favor with people by the things we do? Because if we have the right motive then why do we get so hurt or bent out of shape when someone doesn't acknowledge our efforts or accept our ideas? Why do we put our worth in our activity and others approval? When someone doesn't see how hard we have worked why do we deflate so easily?

It shouldn't matter what others think or say. It doesn't matter if no one else every notices a single thing we do.  It doesn't require a Facebook "like" or comment. Would we continue to serve the Lord if we never receive affirmation or acknowledgment or praise or even encouragement from others? 

For most of my adult life, my only desire has been to work for the Lord and to look to Him for my affirmation. I want to serve Him wholeheartedly without looking to the right or left to see if anyone thinks I'm significant.

But I'm afraid that there are many days when I fail miserably at this. My tendency is to look to others for my worth and significance when I should be keeping my eyes on my Heavenly Father in whom my worth is found. As long as I look to others for my affirmation, I will always be disappointed because they are also struggling with their own issues.

Some will say, "But I work so hard and it's never acknowledged." We live in an unjust world and sometimes people are sinful and it is not fair when we work really hard at something and others don't notice, don't thank us nor even acknowledge us. The final verse in Colossians 3 is often overlooked at the end of this passage on working for the Lord. 

Colossians 3:25 says, "For the wrongdoer will be paid back for whatever wrong he has done, and there is no favoritism." God will take care of injustice and will punish those who mistreat others. Our job is to work for the Lord with the right attitude and let the Lord take care of the retribution.

I pray for you who struggle with the search for significance.  I think there are many people who wrestle with this. I'm praying that you can keep remembering where your worth lies. It's not in our activity. It's not in other's recognition. It's not in our ability. It can only be found in our relationship with God. 

Let's get down to work with the correct attitude!

Comments

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live